Master of Engineering Requirements
The Master of Engineering (ME) degree is designed for working engineers, or students with a BS degree in ECE who would like to increase their technical depth in engineering. Students select a specialization in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
To obtain the specialization in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering, at least 9 credits of ECE coursework must be taken in the desired specialization area.
Requirements for the Degree:
- Successful completion (GPA of 3.0 or higher) of a minimum of 30 credits (beyond the BS degree) of graduate-level course work, at or above the 5000 level, with a C or better in each course
- At least 18 credits of ECE coursework must be completed at or above the 5000 level
- At least one ECE depth course (having a graduate-level prerequisite) is required.
- At least 15 credits of 6000-level or above coursework (excluding ECE 6800) are required.
- No more than 15 credits of ECE 5000-level or Independent Study may be applied toward the ME degree.
- At least 3 credits of Professional Experience (ECE 6250 Internship or a lab-intensive course) are required. Only 3 credits of ECE 6250 Internship are allowed and must have prior approval.
- A maximum of 12 credits outside of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department may be allowed, based upon a comprehensive academic plan. Courses must be approved by the Master of Engineering advisor.
- Two semesters of ECE 6800 Graduate Colloquium (1credit total) are required.
- No more than 1 course (3-4 credits) of ECE 5930/6930/7930 Independent Study may be counted toward the ME degree. Registration for ECE 5930/6930/7930 Independent Study requires prior approval (by the responsible instructor, the ME advisor, and the Department Head) of a written proposal of the intended course work, deliverables, and credits.
- No more than 3 credits of ECE 6250 Internship may be counted toward the ME degree. Registration for ECE 6250 Internship requires prior approval (by the ME advisor and the Department Head) of a description of your project with defined deliverables, signed by the student, the Company Intern Supervisor, and the ECE Internship Coordinator. Only one semester is allowed.
- The student’s Program of Study and any subsequent deviations must be approved by the ME advisor.